May 20, 2017
Extra Virgin Olive Oil Festival, 2017
Where & When
1786 4th St., Berkeley, CA 94710 (map)
May 20, 2017 1:00 PM until 3:00 PM
Stop by 4th St in Berkeley on Saturday, May 20th from 1–3pm, as we celebrate all things extra virgin olive oil. It's a festival that's sure to satisfy your hunger (we'll be sampling olive-oil friendly foods) as well as sate your curiosity about extra virgin olive oils, their differences, the best ways to enjoy them, and why this liquid gold is such a special food. You'll meet our own and visiting olive oil experts and get a chance to ask any questions you may have about this increasingly popular—and increasingly counterfeited—food. Come by and find your new favorite olive oil!
7 reasons to join us at our annual Olive Oil Festival
- Sample extra virgin olive oils from top producers throughout the world (see list of some producers below. more details coming!)
- Explore the differences between mild, medium and robust flavor profiles and learn their best uses
- Taste unique food pairings such as olive oil with dukkah, drizzled over ice cream, or in baked goods
- Learn about baking with EVOO and taste housemade cake and challah
- Find cookbooks, olive wood crafts and recipes all about olive oil
- Enjoy 10% off bottles of extra virgin olive oil
- Win olive oil prizes!
Scheduled Producers, Tasting Stations & Education
- California producers: Bondolio, Enzo Organic, Frantoio Grove, Séka Hills
- Italian olive oil from North to South: Capezzana, Sole Sabino, Titone
- Spanish olive oil tastings: As Pontis, Antara
- Market Hall Bakery: Orange Scented Olive Oil Cake
- Bites & unique pairings prepared by the Market Hall Foods kitchen (We'll surprise you!)
- California Olive Oil Council (COOC) and Olive Oil Expert, Nancy Ash
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil Expert & Taste Panelist, Sandy Sonnenfelt of Market Hall Foods
Bonus: Fresh Mozzarella Making Starts May 20
The Cheese Counter launches its seasonal fresh mozzarella-making program on the day of our EVOO Festival. Try tastes of our cheesemongers' handmade mozzarella slathered in EVOO. Then, take some home to relish. This seasonal program lasts through the summer, with fresh ovolini available on the weekends only. Wait until you try the milky and satisfying combination of mozzarella cheese with fruity extra virgin olive oil!